Re: Helium balloons in the car

From: DLPorter (dpotasnik@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu May 24 2001 - 08:39:49 PDT

Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 08:39:49 -0700
From: DLPorter <dpotasnik@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Helium balloons in the car

Thanks Eric and Ben for your responses. I was able to observe the same
thing by sliding a level accross the floor. The bubble moved forward.
I understand why the difference in densities won't allow the bubble to
move back (or appear to), but it doesn't explain for me completly why
the bubble actually moves forward. I imagine the water in the level, or
the air in the car, to be like a tight spring in which the rear of the
level bumps into the water, causing the latter to compress and then
quickly spring forward which I observe as the bubble moving forward
"simultaneously". Is this reasonable?

Thanks,
David