- Learning Studio - week of May 27

From: Gilles Poitras (gilles@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Sat Jun 02 2001 - 10:21:34 PDT

Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 10:21:34 -0700
From: Gilles Poitras <gilles@exploratorium.edu>
Subject:  - Learning Studio - week of May 27

Time for the weekly report on some of our materials in the Learning Studio.

Equipment:

1. JVC SR-VS20U Mini/DV-VHS VCR
(non-circulating)
This is the latest digital video to S-VHS/VHS dual deck from JVC. Very
handy if you want to copy tapes in either direction. You can also use the
dual deck for4 many editing functions, such as adding a different
soundtrack. Along with regular use we plan to use it for a project
converting old museum documentary on 3/4 inch tape to both DV and VHS by
feeding in a signal from a 3/4 inch player.
Manuals are in English and French.

Equipment, not new to the collection but cool:

2. HP 48GX Graphing Calculator
Not many people know we have several of these handy little devices.
Specs are at: http://www.hp.com/calculators/graphing/48gx_specs.html

Online resources:

Note:
The online books listed in these reports are freely available over the
Internet.
No passwords are required.

Almost all the online texts available through the Learning Studio catalog
can be located by doing a title keyword search for 'online resource'.

The current count of such resources is:

Some of these documents may be in PDF format and require the use of a free
reader.
        http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readermain.html

3. Environmental Considerations of Active and Abandoned Mine Lands --
Lessons from Summitville, Colorado Bulletin 2220.

4. California Desert Trails (Boston and New York: Houghton Mifflin Company,
1919), by Joseph Smeaton Chase

Gilles Poitras gilles@exploratorium.edu
Learning Studio, Exploratorium Museum