Bowling Ball and cheap aquariums at Sal Army

From: SFPhysics@aol.com
Date: Fri Jun 29 2001 - 01:49:17 PDT

From: SFPhysics@aol.com
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 04:49:17 EDT
Subject: Bowling Ball and cheap aquariums at Sal Army

<<
> I'm looking for an old bowling ball to use to make a bowling ball pendulum.
> Any ideas where I might look for one?
> Thanks,
> Erin

I bought my bowling balls for about $3 each from the Salvation Army. Thus
when drilling them out for the pendulum cable attachments I didn't feel too
bad. I also found that many other items go through on an irregular basis.
My big aquarium used for light refraction demos, buoyancy demos, etc., cost
$49 in the pet store but I paid just $4. Cheap 35 mm cameras come in for
$2.50 from time to time and these are great when doing optics. 78 RPM
records are also great for demonstrating waves and sound with rolled up paper
horns playing them with a straight pin plus you can "see" the sound waves
with a magnifying glass. Children's musical toys are also a great help when
studying sound. The list is endless...... I hit the place several days a
week before my retirement and found some great items for Physics. Science
books can also be found.

Best wishes to all,

Al Sefl

PS: I live in Marin and have one extra undrilled bowling ball, complete with
carrying case, should someone need it. FREE ! ! !