- Learning Studio - week of July 1

From: Gilles Poitras (gilles@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Fri Jul 06 2001 - 10:31:10 PDT

Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 10:31:10 -0700
From: Gilles Poitras <gilles@exploratorium.edu>
Subject:  - Learning Studio - week of July 1

Oh what the heck, this week everything is on paper.

We also have new online titles and I will post about some of them next week.

Drop by the Learning Studio and take a look at these and perhaps check some
of them, or something else, out.

Printed, new acquisitions:

1. Charles Darwin : a Biography / Janet Browne.
Volume 1 Voyaging
General collection circ.
QH 31 .D2 B84 1995

A large book that only goes up to 1856, before the Origin of Species was
written. So far there is only one volume out hopefully volume two will be
avilable in the near future. Rather than comment on this book I went
looking for a review on the web and found a good right away one at:
http://www.santafe.edu/~shalizi/reviews/voyaging/

2. Universal Encyclopedia of Mathematics / with a foreword by James R. Newman.
General collection circ.
QA 5 .U5413 1964

3. Mathematical handbook : elementary mathematics / M. Vygodsky ;
translated from the Russian by George Yankovsky.
QA 40 .V8813 1979

4. Mathematical handbook : higher mathematics / M. Vygodsky ; translated
from the Russian by George Yankovsky.
General collection circ.
QA 40 .V8413 1975

Three thick small format books on math these are dense with information
which should be useful for math teachers and others.

One note, the two by Vygodsky are not listed in the catalog under that
older transliteration of the author's name, instead they are under
Vygodskii the preferred modern transliteration for the name.

5. Engineering and Operations in the Bell System / prepared by members of
the technical staff and the Technical Publication Department, Bell
Laboratories.
General collection circ.
TK 6023 .B4 1982

Long before the days of wireless networking and the Web there were other
fascinating technologies being developed that laid the foundation for much
of what came later not only with telephones but networks and computing.

Printed, not new to the collection but cool:

6., Hackers : heroes of the computer revolution / by Steven Levy.
General collection circ.
QA 76.6 .L469 1984

This book was written before the term hackers came to be applied by the
press to malicious computer vandals. At the time this book was written the
term was, and still is by those in computer circles, one of respect for
those who could 'hack' solutions to problems with great creativity. I have
to include this older classic after Engineering and Operations in the Bell
System. Part of what inspired the early developers of computers was the
phone system of the time which in many ways was like a complex computer.

Gilles Poitras gilles@exploratorium.edu
Learning Studio, Exploratorium Museum