Re: Pinhole Digest #688 - 08/02/01

From: Steve Miller (nanodog2@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Aug 02 2001 - 08:48:25 PDT

From: "Steve Miller" <nanodog2@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Pinhole Digest #688 - 08/02/01
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2001 08:48:25 -0700

Life Academy is first new public high school opened in Oakland since Skyline
was opened as a segregated high school in the early'60s. The core of the
staff was the Health and Biosciences Academy at Fremont high last year. Life
will be a small autonomous high school (controlling both staffing and
funding). Fifteen teachers will share 250 students, 9th grade through
12th.Our Mission Statement specifically ties the academy's population to
that of Fremont - we must have the same percentage of students, based both
on nationality and academic achievement. Therefore, 70% of the school's
population must be low achieving.

We have filled all positions but one. We need to hire a math teacher. All
teachers will be taking on a counseling role in addition to teaching
assignments. Our curricula is project-based and we expect to develop a
number of integrated projects across disciplines.

If anyone would like to apply - or to reccommend a teacher - please leave
information with Steve Miller's email (nanodog2@hotmail.com)

Thanks,

Steve