Re: pinhole sunbow questions

From: pauld@exploratorium.edu
Date: Thu Aug 23 2001 - 20:31:28 PDT

From: pauld@exploratorium.edu
Subject: Re: pinhole sunbow questions
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 03:31:28 GMT

Hi Regan

Neat, I love the desolation wilderness.

Tell me more.
Was the circle around the sun? or around the shadow of your head?
What angle was it from either, approximately?

Paul D

> Hello.
>
> i was in desolation wilderness last weekend and saw a sunbow for the first time. i also
saw one the next day when i was driving home.

> my questions are:
> Are they just rainbows in far-away shreds of mist (high whispy clouds)?
> if so, why were they different distances (from the shadow of my head) than a rainbow
would
have been? (paul said rainbows appear in the mist 40 degrees (?) from the center
of the
shadow of your head.)

> Thanks,
> regan
>
> (i looked for information on the internet but only found one site that went beyond their
mystical implications: http://www.courtneymilne.com/mystic_within/html/
sunbows.html