fan cart washers

From: Algis Sodonis (asodonis@urbanschool.org)
Date: Fri Sep 21 2001 - 15:14:23 PDT

Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 15:14:23 -0700
Subject: fan cart washers
From: "Algis Sodonis" <asodonis@urbanschool.org>

At this summer's teacher institute many teachers built fan carts that use CD
roms as wheels and rubber faucet washers as a means of attaching the CD's to
wooden dowels (the axles.)

I am trying to do this in my physics classes with students and am finding it
hard to purchase affordable washers in quantity. At Home Depot, they only
had a small quantity. At my local hardware store, they had quite a few, but
they were 50c apiece. At $2 per car for just the washers, that seems too
expensive. I have contacted Pitsco, a science and technology catalog company
and they wanted $8 for a meager 20 washers. Outrageous!

Does anyone have any cheaper alternative ideas or easier and cheaper way of
getting those unique sizes in quantity?

Thanks

Algis Sodonis
Physics Teacher