- Learning Studio - week of October 28

From: Gilles Poitras (gilles@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Fri Nov 02 2001 - 13:08:07 PST

Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 13:08:07 -0800
From: Gilles Poitras <gilles@exploratorium.edu>
Subject:  - Learning Studio - week of October 28

This week I have decided to start highlighting our magazine selection.

I keep running into people who don't realize we have many specific titles.

Each week I will cover another magazine until we have gone through our
entire collection. And I'll do it the lazy way, alphabetically.

This week:

The American Association of Physics Teachers Announcer

Quarterly. Over 100 pages of articles, essays and association news.

The association web page is at:
http://www.aapt.org/

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Also every once and awhile I point out an interesting web site.

This time it also relates to my major obsession: Japanese animation:

Last night I picked up the latest issue of Animage magazine in San
Francisco's Japantown, it had an interesting article on the new Studio
Ghibli museum in Tokyo's Mitaka city.

This compact multi story museum looks truly delightful. It even includes
facilities for hands on animation work for children, a theater, of course
the usual gift shop and a restaurant, with it's own brand of beer.

The official, and Japanese only, web site is at:
        http://www.ghibli-museum.jp/

A set of English pages with photos by Justin Leach is at:
        http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/museum/ghibliMuseumParty/

Studio Ghibli is widely known in Asia and Europe for their excellent
animation work and this museum is likely to become a popular place for many
non-Japanese tourists visiting Tokyo, I know I plan to go someday.

Gilles Poitras gilles@exploratorium.edu
Learning Studio, Exploratorium Museum