Pathways again

From: emuller@exploratorium.edu
Date: Wed Nov 14 2001 - 23:48:04 PST

From: emuller@exploratorium.edu
Subject: Pathways again
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 07:48:04 GMT

Thanks for all the input on the pathways email I sent out a week or so ago.
We had some great suggestions including opening up the sound column for school
tours (call me, I'll see what I can do), creating an Earth Science pathway and
having a "women" and a "people of color" pathway.
Keep these suggestions coming.

There are a couple related things I want to concentrate on in this email.
Who is our audience and what kind of pathway would be best for them?
And what is the best method to disseminating a pathway?

The old pathways were geared towards middle school students and teachers. These
visitors could have had little to no experience at the museum. You could pass out
a copy of the pathways, send your students into the museum and have them meet you
a few hours later. They would fill out some questions and hand them in.
Depending on the teacher, students were done with their Exploratorium experience
when they handed in their pathway.

The updated pathways located at http://www.exo.net/~emuller/pathways follow this
theme.

Should we keep this method?
Should we make it less directed?
Should we design the pathways for teacher use or for student use?
What grade level/s should we concentrate on?
Should we provide suggestions for assessing students on a field trip other than
written questions?

What methods have you tried?

One of the things to keep in mind is that annually thousands of school groups
visit the museum. We don't have the person power to give guided tours to every
group. We also want to avoid mailing the pathways out via snail mail at the time
of reservation.

We're looking at on-line alternatives to disseminate the new pathways. We're
still assuming that the teacher will still be the person to make contact with the
museum.

Would a web page work if you could print it off?
Would it be better to have static web pages with thematic pathways or have a
system where teachers could pick out the exhibits and the associated questions?

Well that's it for now.
Please comment on these questions or provide any other thoughts about pathways.

Thanks a bunch?
-Eric

This message was sent using Exploratorium web mail
           http://www.exploratorium.edu/