Meteor trails

From: Ian Bleakney (bleekers@ousd.k12.ca.us)
Date: Sun Nov 18 2001 - 12:55:15 PST

Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2001 12:55:15 -0800
From: Ian Bleakney <bleekers@ousd.k12.ca.us>
Subject: Meteor trails

Hello Pinholers!

As I was watching the meteor shower last night from a dark spot out near
Livermore (Wow!) I noticed an interesting phenomena. Some meteors left
very dramatic trails that hung around for a second or more. Each meteor
left a trail that appeared to fade from the ends first. The very last
part of the trail to fade away to darkness was the middle. Is there an
established reason for this or was I just seeing things?

Ian

--
 "There are causes worth dying for, but none worth killing for. "
(Albert Camus)

"In the struggle of Good against Evil, it's always the people who get killed. " (Eduardo Galeano)

Ian Bleakney Science Instructor Merritt Middle College High School Oakland, CA