bio lab

From: Geoff Ruth (gruth@leadershiphigh.org)
Date: Wed Dec 05 2001 - 21:11:01 PST

Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 21:11:01 -0800
From: Geoff Ruth <gruth@leadershiphigh.org>
Subject: bio lab

A bio teacher at my school tried to do a lab showing how diffusion is
affected by the volume of a cell. She cut up blocks of agar of
various sizes, and then put them in a NaOH solution -- the agar is
supposed to turn a different color as the sodium hydroxide penetrates
the agar cubes to different depths.

The problem is that the lab didn't work -- there was no color change
with the NaOH. We tried using 0.1M and roughly 0.4M NaOH.

Has anyone done this lab successfully? And does anyone know what the
chemical reaction going on here is?

Ta ta,
Geoff