peanut brittle

From: Sally Seebode (sseebode@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Dec 10 2001 - 17:27:52 PST

From: "Sally Seebode" <sseebode@earthlink.net>
Subject: peanut brittle
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 17:27:52 -0800

I still haven't found a definitive answer to this question about the change
in bonding between plain white sugar and hard sugar candies, but I have a
suggestion from a fellow teacher that I'd like some feedback on.

the suggestion was that the difference in bonding is similar to the
difference in bonding between granite and obsidian. Meaning that if you
could cool peanut brittle slowly (say over a few months) that you would end
up with the nice crystals (different color and flavor because of additives)
of plain white sugar. In other words, if you could cool it slowly, you would
end up with rock candy because the molecules would have time to bond with
each other in a formalized way as opposed to the quick peanut brittle whose
molecules may bond in a more haphazard manner. A suggested way to support
this was to make a small block of peanut brittle and break it to see if it
showed conchodahl fracturing (did I spell that right?)

Any more thoughts?

sally