Re: pinhole bio lab

From: Steven Eiger (eiger@montana.edu)
Date: Tue Dec 11 2001 - 12:55:12 PST

Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 13:55:12 -0700
From: Steven Eiger <eiger@montana.edu>
Subject: Re: pinhole bio lab

Regarding the following message; while it would be interesting to put
different materials in front of the gel, it seems that the gel itself
offers a big barrier to diffusion and this could be used by varying the
concentration of gelatin in the blocks you make. That would be a good
approximation to how gels used in labs work. I am assuming that you see a
forward edge of pink moving through the gel if you cut them in cross
section at various times.

>Dear Geoff-- My experience with this uses gelatin made with phenolpthalein.
>(2 packets gelatin, 2 cups hot water, 2 cups cold water and 10ml
>phenolpthalein) Cut the cooled gelatin into "cells" and place on
>cheesecloth stretched over jars with about 50 ml ammonia in them. The cell
>will turn pink. Try different materials other than cheesecloth to see
>different permeabilities.
>Good luck-- Tory

Steven Eiger, Ph.D.

Department of Cell Biology and Neuroscience and the WWAMI Medical Education
Program
PO Box 173148
Montana State University - Bozeman
Bozeman, MT 59717-3148