Moon Activities

From: Tim/Joan Merrill (tmerrill@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Dec 31 2001 - 11:55:08 PST

From: "Tim/Joan Merrill" <tmerrill@hotmail.com>
Subject: Moon Activities
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 19:55:08 +0000

        One of the activities I use every year is to hand each student a (used and
donated) golf ball to use as a moon (Craters included free of charge). I
place a lighted 100-W light bulb in the middle of the otherwise dark
classroom. I describe the direction of the moon's revolution (CCW) and post
the names of the 8 phases. The students have to move the "moon" about their
heads CCW and sketch the shapes and write the correct names for each of the
phases. Then they hand their efforts to their partner to check before
turning them in for a grade.
        Good luck!

        Sincerely,
        Tim Merrill