- Learning Studio - week of December 30

From: Gilles Poitras (gilles@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Sat Jan 05 2002 - 11:47:48 PST

Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2002 11:47:48 -0800
From: Gilles Poitras <gilles@exploratorium.edu>
Subject:  - Learning Studio - week of December 30

WEB SITE OF THE WEEK:

I am going to try to do a web site of the week as part of these reports.

These will be all pages from the Web Information Source pages we are creating.
( http://www.exploratorium.edu/ls/infosources/ResGuides.html )

This week a selection from the Forensics page.

Forensic Entomology Pages, International
http://folk.uio.no/mostarke/forens_ent/forensic_entomology.html

Ever wonder about the type of clues death investigators have to deal with?
This page focuses on bugs on/in bodies, which can be fascinating. The
author is a graduate student at the division of Zoology, Department of
Biology, University of Oslo and his love of the topic show through on this
informative site.

PRINTED NEW ACQUISITIONS:

1. The Goldfish / Carlo De Vito with Gregory Skomal
General collection circ.
SF 458 .G6 D4 1996

After requesting this book on Inter-Library Loan twice for staff memners we
decided we better add it to our stock. A great little book on goldfish
basics for the beginner.

2. The Mac is Not a Typewriter : a style manual for creating
professional-level type on your Macintosh / Robin Williams.
General collection circ.
Z 286 .D47 W538 1990

I was quite surprised that this slender book was not already in our collection.

Highly recommended for anyone who wants to make good looking documents on a
computer. For example, did you know that you don't need to double space
after a period? The computer adjusts the spacing for you.

This is the first book by the famous Robin Williams (writer . teacher . mom
. not the actor) who has gone from humble beginnings to be one of the
finest writers of computer books. I once met her and asked why her books
were so well done (a trick question), her response was that she never
assumed people were stupid just that they didn't know. Poeple have met who
took classes from her when she was a teacher at a JC say she was one of the
best teachers they had, it shows in her books.

For more on Robin Williams (writer . teacher . mom . not the actor) see her
web site at:
http://www.ratz.com/

Gilles Poitras gilles@exploratorium.edu
Learning Studio, Exploratorium Museum