p waves

From: Kevin Kinsella (kkinsella@woodside.k12.ca.us)
Date: Thu Jan 17 2002 - 10:25:10 PST

From: "Kevin Kinsella" <kkinsella@woodside.k12.ca.us>
Subject: p waves
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 10:25:10 -0800

One of the questions on a review handout about seismic waves asks "Can
you infer why P waves travel faster through the upper mantle than they
do through the crust?" This seems contrary to what I remember about
sound waves traveling faster through solids than liquids. I have a
feeling I'm missing something, can someone shed some light?
(P.S. I'm assuming they mean the liquid-like asthenesphere layer when
they say 'upper mantle', but I may be wrong)

Kevin Kinsella
Science Explorer
Woodside Elementary School
650.851.1571 x256