p wave velocities...

From: SFPhysics@aol.com
Date: Fri Jan 18 2002 - 11:57:15 PST

From: SFPhysics@aol.com
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 14:57:15 EST
Subject: p wave velocities...

> One of the questions on a review handout about seismic waves asks "Can
> you infer why P waves travel faster through the upper mantle than they
> do through the crust?"
> Kevin Kinsella
> Science Explorer
> Woodside Elementary School
> 650.851.1571 x256

Dear Kevin, et al.:

Everything Dr. Paul said is right on the mark; but, I think that what the
person who wrote the question was looking for was that the inference would
be, "The basaltic and granitic crust with oxides and dissolved lighter
materials is less dense, thus the P wave travels through the crust more
slowly than the more dense upper mantle."

That's just my take on the question. Now to go change the paper on my
seismograph drum!

Best wishes to all on the list,

Al Sefl
A guy who likes having the shakes...