Spring Saturday Sign-ups

From: Eric Muller (emuller@isaac.exploratorium.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 22 2002 - 15:44:41 PST

Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 15:44:41 -0800
From: Eric Muller <emuller@isaac.exploratorium.edu>
Subject: Spring Saturday Sign-ups

Hi Pinholers,
It's that time again - Saturday sign-ups!

Below is the list of courses offered. The fastest and quickest way
to sign-up is via the TI web site. Go to the alumni pages (remember
the pass codes) and click "Saturday Workshops" or just go to:

http://www.exploratorium.edu/ti/alumni/spring2002/intro.html

Your form will go directly to Karen M. in our officeŠno muss, no fuss
and no sticky stamps.

__________________

Exploratorium Teacher Institute
Spring 2002 Workshops

Sat. Feb. 16 8:30 am - 12:30 pm Are You a Birdbrain?
You will be - after coming to this class! Fill your brain with
birds!! We'll explore these descendants of dinosaurs from an
interdisciplinary standpoint, looking at their anatomy, physiology,
flight, evolution, and natural history.

Sat. Feb. 23 8:30 am - 12:30 pm
Get Into the Swing of the Logarithms
Mathematics is the language of science - and logarithms are part of
that language. You don't need to teach logarithms to learn more
about them. Many of the scales we use in science are based on
logarithms (for example, the Richter scale and the pH scale are both
logarithmic). Have fun exploring the scientific and mathematical
applications of logarithms!

Sat. Mar. 16 8:30 am - 12:30 pm
Traits of Life
Be among the first to see, and give feedback about, the new
collection of Life Sciences exhibits, "Traits of Life". After a tour
and a critique of these prototypes, we'll start making classroom
versions of the exhibits and
develop related activities. Note: This session is NOT open to
teachers currently enrolled in our novice teacher program.

-OR-

Sat, Mar. 16 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm
Electrostatics at RAFT
(Meets at RAFT in San Jose)
Create large electrostatic charges and use them to move large
objects, to make sparks you can see, hear and feel, to levitate
plastic and aluminum, and to light neon glow tubes.

Directions to RAFT: From SF or San Mateo, take 101 South to San Jose,
exit at Brokaw. Go left onto Brokaw. After about 1 mile, you'll go
under 880. The next left is Ridder Park Drive. Go left on Ridder
Park Drive. RAFT is the last building on the left, at #1355. From
the East Bay, take 880 to San Jose, exit at Brokaw. Go left on
Brokaw, back under 880. The next left is Ridder Park Drive. Go left
on Ridder Park Drive. RAFT is the last building on the left, at #1355.
RAFT phone number: (408) 451 1420

Sat. Mar. 23 8:30 am - 12:30 pm
3-D Vision
Learn the science of 3D vision! Build easy and inexpensive ways of
seeing and projecting 3D images and compare and contrast how other
animals see or don't see 3D. All for less than the price of a movie.

Sat. Mar. 23 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm
TI Film Festival: The Sequel
We will be showing classic and destined to be classic short science
videos and films (many of which are available from our library).

Sat, Apr. 13 8:30 am - 12:30 pm
What Is or Isn't Science?
Do your students think that scientists actually follow the scientific
method described in textbooks? Do they think that a "scientific
discovery" described in a tabloid magazine is as valid as research
described in a professional journal? Do your students confuse
scientific opinion with scientific fact? Then come to this workshop
and we'll show you ways to help your students understand what the
process of science is and what it isn't.

Sat, Apr. 20 8:30 am - 12:30 pm
Temperature and Thermodynamics
Explore the nature of temperature, from sensing hot versus cold,
through the ideal gas law to the modern definition that allows
negative absolute temperatures. We'll also do some experiments on
heat flow, a.k.a. thermodynamics.

Sat, May 4 8:30 am - 12:30 pm
Astronomy Day
Join us for our 7th Annual Astronomy Day, co-sponsored by the
Exploratorium Teacher Institute and the Astronomical Society of the
Pacific. The workshop will include a talk by a guest lecturer and
hands-on activities to help translate the content of the lecture into
exciting classroom lessons. Past lecturers have been Geoff Marcy
(discoverer of extra-solar planets), Jill Tarter (director, SETI
Project), and Alex Filippenko (the discovery of the accelerating
universe).

Sat. May 11 8:30 am - 12:30 pm
San Mateo County Day at RAFT
(Meets at RAFT in San Jose)
This workshop is open ONLY to public school teachers who teach in San
Mateo County! Join us for a variety of hands-on activities and
shopping at RAFT in San Jose (www.raft.net). RAFT is the Resource
Area For Teachers, a warehouse full of inexpensive and unusual
materials for teachers. In lieu of a stipend, you will be offered up
to $500 per year from the Peninsula Community Foundation to spend on
teaching materials during the school year. On the day of the
workshop, you will need to pay for your membership ($35) and
purchases ($ - up to you) with your own check or credit card, submit
receipts and be reimbursed by the Foundation. Come build, learn, and
shop with us at this special session. Directions to RAFT: SEE Mar.
16.

Friday May 17 5:30 PM to Saturday, May 18 10 AM
"Wild Night" Overnight at the San Francisco Zoo
(Meets at San Francisco Zoo)
Bring your tent, sleeping bag, and picnic dinner to the San Francisco
Zoo for a one-of-a-kind overnight experience! Zoo staff members will
lead us in adventures such as up-close animal experiences, a
nocturnal tour, science activities, and information on zoo programs.
They'll explain how to integrate the zoo experience into your
curriculum. After an overnight camp-out, we'll awake to the sounds
of stirring animals, and get to join the keepers on their early
morning rounds. Breakfast will be provided.
To guarantee your spot, you must send a check for $45 made out to the
Exploratorium Teacher Institute along with your spring choices. (You
will receive your regular $50 stipend for attending this session.) No
refunds will be given for cancellations after 5 PM, May 3. Because of
the nature of this workshop, no children or spouses may attend, and
no alcohol is permitted.
For questions, contact Karen Kalumuck, 415-561-0388 or
karenk@exploratorium.edu. Get ready to get wild!

Event of Interest
(NOT TI Workshop, but TI staff is presentingŠ)
Sat. Mar. 2 8:00 am - 3:15 pm
CMSESMC Spring Conference
The Council of Math/Science Educators of San Mateo County Annual
Spring Conference is for all Bay Area math and science teachers (K -
12). Most of the Teacher Institute staff will be presenting at this
one-day conference at Canada College in Redwood City. This is an
excellent small conference - a great professional development
opportunity and a way to get lots of new ideas. Your conference
registration needs to be paid by you!($50), which includes a
continental breakfast and a catered lunch. Call Christine Joy at the
San Mateo County Office of

Remember, sign-ups can be done on-line at:
http://saturn.exploratorium.edu/ti/alumni/spring2002/intro.html

--
Eric Muller
Exploratorium Teacher Institute