Re: pinhole Antarctica, Animals, and Little kids

From: pauld@exploratorium.edu
Date: Thu Jan 24 2002 - 19:18:42 PST

From: pauld@exploratorium.edu
Subject: Re: pinhole Antarctica, Animals, and Little kids
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 19:18:36 US/Pacific

Hi Raleigh

A longitude degree goes to zero width as the pole is approached.

Noel ran in the "Race around the world, which made three laps of the pole
covering 3 x 360 longitude degrees in about 2 miles.

A compass is not useful with out a map showing the corrections, at McMurdo the
north end of the compass pointed 135 degrees away from true north in the middle
of the usual hiking map, and changed its direction by +-1degree across the span
of the map.

We have some very short animal clips as part of our field notes.

Watching the emperor penguins dive from the observation tube under the ice, or
in Mary's case while diving, was amazing. They are like little rockets
underwater.

Also check out my web page
http://www.exo.net/~pauld

My last antarctic report on the dry valleys includes a description of mummified
seals with still photos, and of cyanobacteria.

Paul D
In New Zealand.

I just successfully climbed Mt. Aspiring NW ridge, the Matterhorn of the South.
Fun!