- Learning Studio - week of January 20

From: Gilles Poitras (gilles@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Sat Jan 26 2002 - 14:27:42 PST

Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 14:27:42 -0800
From: Gilles Poitras <gilles@exploratorium.edu>
Subject:  - Learning Studio - week of January 20

A few new things this week.

WEB SITE OF THE WEEK:

The Cephalopod Page
http://is.dal.ca/~ceph/TCP/
A page that answers the question

"What group of animals can change color faster than a chameleon plus change
texture and body shape, has three hearts pumping blue blood, is jet
powered, has members in all oceans of the world - from the tropics to the
poles - the intertidal to the abyss, has inspired legends and stories since
recorded history, Š?"

And tells you a lot more.

PRINTED, NEW ACQUISITIONS:

1. Edible and Useful Plants of California / by Charlotte Bringle Clarke.
General collection circ.
QK 98.5 .U6 C57 1977

Looking at all those images on the web of cephalopods makes me think how
good some of them would be grilled and brushed with a soy based sauce or
some grated ginger.

Growing up in rural California I had plenty of opportunities to cook and
eat various local fauna and flora. Now in the Central Valley cephalopods
did not swim the streams but plenty else did and we often wanted some
fruits, greens or mushrooms to go with the catfish or trout we had caught
and cooked over our campfire.

This book would have been handy, while many of the plants in it were
familar to me many I commonly saw and did not know they would make an
addition to a salad or spice up a sauce.

Includes recipes.

2. An Introduction to California Plant Life.
General collection circ.
QK 149 .O73 1974

Now this title is not much on edibles, but then there is alot more to
plants than their flavor. A small, but rich, work on the flora of the
state. Given the diversity of environments in California this work covers
quite a variety of plant life.

Gilles Poitras gilles@exploratorium.edu
Learning Studio, Exploratorium Museum