RE: pinhole color of particles

From: Nasif Iskander (iskander@sfuhs.org)
Date: Tue Jan 29 2002 - 04:59:15 PST

From: "Nasif Iskander" <iskander@sfuhs.org>
Subject: RE: pinhole color of particles
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 07:59:15 -0500

True! Subatomic particles are certainly too small to have real color.
There is, however, a property of matter that is responsible for strong force
interactions (the force that binds quarks together to form protons and
neutrons, and sticks protons and neutrons together to build nucleii), that
is referred to as "color". The reason the word "color" was chosen for this
property was that there were three types of this property, and the primary
colors were simply a convenient way with which to label it. Thus people
refer to "red", "blue", or "green" quarks, for example. They aren't really
colors, though, and they have nothing to do with light. Perhaps this is
what your student was referring to.

Nasif Iskander
San Francisco University High School

light"

>and we talk about particles which reflect yellow light as "yellow
particles".