The obvious joke

From: Raleigh McLemore (raleighmclemore@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Feb 05 2002 - 10:42:35 PST

Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 10:42:35 -0800 (PST)
From: Raleigh McLemore <raleighmclemore@yahoo.com>
Subject: The obvious joke

To Ron and Al

The Edison example is perfect. The great challenge in
working with little kids is in trying to find
meaninful ways for our students to discover things.
The debate over introducing the Period Chart of the
Elements in the 5th grade gets to the heart of this,
as it seems to me the chart is best taught as the
students see patterns themselves and then want to
figure out how the patterns look and how to use them.
If we just show them the damn chart (this is sometimes
called "teaching") it removes their freedom to
"discover" it and learn that they can truly understand
why and how the chart works. It's why elementary
school students should be developing a coherent base
of experience to make larger abstract leaps. Yes, Yes,
I know, they have to be able to read, do math, and
understand a historical context...but I'm a science
teacher not a damn miracle worker...to quote Bones.

Oh, well.

The Edison story reminds me of another. If you didn't
hear the winner of this years "world's greatest joke"
I will paraphrase here.

Sherlock and Watson are camping out overnight.
Sherlock suddenly wakes Watson and says "Quick, what
do you see around you?"
Watson looks carefully and after a moment says,
"Stars, many stars, the moon is low on the horizon,
two planets...one is Mars I believe, and I see the
inky black of space."
Sherlock responds: "No you fool, someone has stolen
our tent."

With firm handshake,
Raleigh