- Learning Studio - weeks of February 3 & 10

From: Gilles Poitras (gilles@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 13 2002 - 13:24:20 PST

Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 13:24:20 -0800
From: Gilles Poitras <gilles@exploratorium.edu>
Subject:  - Learning Studio - weeks of February 3 & 10

Nothing like a nasty head cold with disgusting symptoms to delay getting
this out.

For this reason I am combining two weeks into one.

WEB SITE OF THE WEEK:

The Skull Module
http://www.csuchico.edu/anth/Module/skull.html
Detailed information about the human skull. Near the top of the page is a
series of colored images of skulls which when your click on a part take you
to a QuickTime VR image of that part, you can then use the mouse to rotate
the image.

PRINTED, NEW ACQUISITIONS:

Artist Beware / by Michael McCann.
General collection circ.
RC 963.6 .A78 M32 2001

Crucial not only for artists but also for anyone who works with art
materials. There are some really nasty ingredients in some supplies that
are safe to use under the right conditions. This work is very detailed as
to the hazards of many materials and as tot he proper precautions to take
when using them

The Eater's Guide to Chinese Characters / James D. McCawley.
General collection circ.
TX 350 .M3 1984

Ever wonder what is on the Chinese side of the menu? Or wonder what those
handwritten signs on the wall say? Or wonder what is on the Chinese only
menu that the folks at the next table are looking at? McCawley has put
together the book for serious diners. Many years ago I asked Calvin Trillin
about this book, after several minutes of talking about experiences of
dining with McCawley he pulled a card out of his wallet which said, in
traditional and simplified Chinese "I want what those people over there are
eating".

Gilles Poitras gilles@exploratorium.edu
Learning Studio, Exploratorium Museum