RE: pinhole student question about wet clothes and why they look darker

From: Black, Heidi (BlackH@exchange.esuhsd.org)
Date: Fri Feb 15 2002 - 15:29:53 PST

From: "Black, Heidi" <BlackH@exchange.esuhsd.org>
Subject: RE: pinhole student question about wet clothes and why they look  darker
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 15:29:53 -0800

I think there may be a simple way to show the kids what is up....
have them wet a piece of paper and hold it up to the light....if the light
is going THROUGH the paper then it is not REFLECTING off the paper back to
your eye....less light looks darker.....I think there may have been a decent
article on this in the Physics Teacher in the not so distant past....Don???

On a similar note, it always amazes me how the roads just disappear in my
rural (streetlightless) neck of the woods when it has rained. The smoothing
of the pavement by the water filling in the holes means the roads don't
reflect light back to the driver -thank heaven for Bot's Dots!

Looking Forward,
Heidi Strahm Black

ps Educational Innovations is now carrying the walkers for the Vector Toy
snack!