Re: pinhole Question on Tidal Effects

From: pauld@exploratorium.edu
Date: Sun Feb 24 2002 - 01:52:48 PST

From: pauld@exploratorium.edu
Subject: Re: pinhole Question on Tidal Effects
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 01:52:44 US/Pacific

Hi Sue

The tides in the solid earth were discovered in the sewers of Chicago at the
turn of the century.

Tides in Lakes are known as seiches.

Everything I know about tides I learned from A.P. Frenhces book Newtonian
Mechanics

But it's full of calculus.

The NSTA Oceanography text is also great for tides.

Paul D