rainbows/prisms

From: SOXYTHECAT@aol.com
Date: Sun Mar 03 2002 - 20:01:07 PST

Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2002 23:01:07 EST
From: SOXYTHECAT@aol.com
Subject: rainbows/prisms

Hello.

All explanations of rainbows/primsm say that the differnt wavelengths of light bend differently. Why do they bend differently? My students are curiuos about this and so am I. I have looked online and in books but have not found out more than that different wavelengths travel at different speeds (is this true for any medium?).
Also, is the explanation of the blue sky (scattering of violet and blue light) related to the explanation of how a prism works? If the atmosphere were super-thich (and prism shaped) could it make rainbows?

Thanks.
-Regan Brooks