white boards

From: Geoff Ruth (gruth@leadershiphigh.org)
Date: Sun Mar 03 2002 - 20:16:15 PST

Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2002 20:16:15 -0800
From: Geoff Ruth <gruth@leadershiphigh.org>
Subject: white boards

I have a general teaching question about whiteboards, that I will
attempt to also turn into a scientific question.

In our physics classroom, there is a whiteboard that is almost
impossible to erase -- you have to really scrub it, and then clean it
with some sort of solvent to get the ink to come off. My first
question is whether it's possible to recondition a white board by
refinishing it with some sort of polish. I'm not sure what you'd use
to do this.

So here's the science part: How does a whiteboard work? I think it's
related to the relative polarity of the board and markers. Since
isopropanol or water will remove the marker, my guess is that the
board has a nonpolar finish on it, and the markers' ink is polar. Is
this first guess accurate?

Thanks!
Geoff