- Learning Studio - week of March 3

From: Gilles Poitras (gilles@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Sat Mar 09 2002 - 11:49:54 PST

Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2002 11:49:54 -0800
From: Gilles Poitras <gilles@exploratorium.edu>
Subject:  - Learning Studio - week of March 3

Another week rushes by.

This week I'm tossing a a science related news story to the mix.

The staff has been quite busy processing some donations and keeping up with
day to day work. I have been pushing the work on the web directories more
than usual and adding some very interesting items to them.

There is still alot to do so if you have suggestions let me know.

Just check http://www.exploratorium.edu/ls/infosources/ResGuides.html to
see what we have done on this project to date.

OK on to the new stuff!

WEB SITE OF THE WEEK:

1. animations of n body orbits
http://www.soe.ucsc.edu/~charlie/3body/

What would a group of planets do if they did not have a sun to orbit around?

What if all the planets had the same mass, and traveled along the same path
on a plane?

This page has several illustrations of possible orbits that could result.

SCIENCE NEWS OF THE WEEK:

2. The Times March 06, 2002
"Lung fear may lead to curbs over mothers giving blood"
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/0,,2-227476,00.html

From The Times an article on unexpected health consequences of blood
donated by women who have been pregnant at one time.

PRINTED, NEW ACQUISITIONS:

3. The American Heritage dictionary of the English language.
Reference (Non-circulating)
PE 1628 .A623 2000

Until we picked up this edition all we had was the edited collegiate
edition. This is the full-fledged item, down to the words that got it
banned in some communities when it came out over 30 years ago.

4. Volcanoes in Human History : the far-reaching effects of major eruptions
/ Jelle Zeilinga de Boer and Donald Theodore Sanders ; with a foreword by
Robert D. Ballard.
General collection circ.
QE 522 .B637 2002

Volcanoes are fascinating. Not only because of their terrible beauty and
power but because of their effects on communities near them, and far from
them. Several major events and volcanic systems are covered in this work.
Interestingly enough there is nothing on Japan which has more of active
volcanoes than any other country in the world.

Gilles Poitras gilles@exploratorium.edu
Learning Studio, Exploratorium Museum