Stream tables

From: Monya Baker (monya_baker@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Mar 15 2002 - 12:33:26 PST

Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 12:33:26 -0800 (PST)
From: Monya Baker <monya_baker@yahoo.com>
Subject: Stream tables

 This is not quite stream tables, but this activity uses readily available materials and addresses the idea of stream load quite well.
Have the kids put two hanging folders inside another. (the legal size ones work best, and you only need two). Students should slide out the inner folders until there is about six inches of overlap and tape these together on the inside and on the upper edge. The inside of the folders is the stream bed. Line the inside withtwo layers of aluminum foil. You need two six inch wides strip slightly longer than the stretched out folders. Flip the overhanging part of foil over the edges and tape it down.
Your stream channel should be about two feet long, with hooks on either end. I had students suspend the lower end of their channel over a sink. The other end was hooked onto a ring stand and clamp. The slope needs to be pretty gentle. Originally, I gave kids different particle sizes to put in the upper end stream bed (large and small gravel and sand). Students would pour a given amount of water into the upper end, and then draw/ measure how far different kinds of sediments traveled. (Kids had to figure out the best way to determine this. I.e. did you record the position of the piece of gravel that traveled the furthest? the least? etc. ) After this, kids had to change ONE thing, and see how it affected sediment movement. Most groups just raised the upper end of the channel, but some tried widening it, others tried pouring the water from different heights (you have to make sure they make allowances for the water that travels out the wrong (upper) end of the channel, putting in just one kind of sedimen
t at a time, etc.
The kids need to feel comfortable designing their own data tables for this approach...but the kids were engaged and thoughtful, and most of the folders were even usable afterwards!
Monya
Pinhole Listserv <pinhole@exploratorium.edu> wrote: Pinhole Digest #867 - Thursday, March 14, 2002

Re: stream tables
by "Heidi Marks"
Re: pinhole Re: stream tables
by "Geoff Ruth"
STAR tests
by "Kim Greco"
Re: pinhole I need potassium chlorate asap
by