Re: Balancing equations

From: RoyMayeda@aol.com
Date: Sun Mar 31 2002 - 06:33:18 PST

From: RoyMayeda@aol.com
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2002 09:33:18 EST
Subject: Re: Balancing equations

Dan,

Short answer: No.

Balancing chemical equations is in the 9-12 Chemistry standards. If you'd
like to check out the standards (which really WOULD be a good idea, since the
performance of our students, our programs, and ourselves are supposed to be
evaluated in terms of these standards), you can check the CA Dept. of Educ.
site. The standards are at: http://www.cde.ca.gov/standards/
The sections that apply to 8th grade chemistry are Grade 8, sections #3, 5 &
7 (and to some degree #6).

If you choose to introduce some basic balancing of equations, I think that we
who are secondary teachers would be eternally grateful. My advice would be
to keep it simple (simple synthesis, decomposition, double replacement &
single replacement are usually good) and focus on the concept of conservation
of mass, which IS in the 8th grade standards. If you are very concerned
about how well your students will comprehend the concept, it might be best to
stick to what is required. A firm grasp of the basic reason for the co
nservation of mass in chemical reactions (that the atoms are simply
rearranged but are all still there) will give a solid background for learning
to balance equations later on in HS.

Roy Mayeda
Valley HS, Sacramento (for two more months, then MN-bound)