Is it Open or is it Closed????

From: Art Fortgang (afortga@smcoe.k12.ca.us)
Date: Sat Apr 06 2002 - 14:32:44 PST

From: "Art Fortgang" <afortga@smcoe.k12.ca.us>
Subject: Is it Open or is it Closed????
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2002 14:32:44 -0800

I was leading a workshop on sound a couple of weeks ago, when I was asked about a clarinet being an open tube or a closed tube. To my surprise it is a closed tube. Although I have been shown why, does anyone know what is the general rule for musical instruments being closed or open tubed? I understand that we can use data collecting software such as logger pro and analyze the FFT to see which harmonics are present to determine this. But I am looking for a more hands-on approach. The obvious factor of whether the tube is closed or open at the end is not significant. I think it may include something about the size and shape of the mouth piece.

Cheers

Art