Mary Laycock's math workshops in east bay

From: Lori Lambertson (loril@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 10 2002 - 10:09:21 PDT

Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 10:09:21 -0700
From: Lori Lambertson <loril@exploratorium.edu>
Subject: Mary Laycock's math workshops in east bay

Hello Pinhole Friends,
One of my math mentors, Mary Laycock, is offering a series of math
workshops on Monday afternoons at her store in Hayward. Mary is now 87
years old, and has been a pioneer in mathematics education for over 60
years. A winner of many teaching awards, author of over 40 books, Mary has
taught many teachers and students to understand concepts rather than to
memorize algorithms. Mary is co-teaching these classes with Peggy McLean -
another amazing math teacher. These workshops are designed for new
teachers or experienced teachers who want more experience with
manipulative, hands-on methods for teaching math concepts. I can't say
enough about how Mary influenced my teaching - she taught me almost
everything I know about teaching mathematics.
Here is the information:
Where:
Activity Resources Co. Inc.
20655 Hathaway Ave.
Hayward, CA 94541
Directions:
Take HWY 880 toward Hayward.
Get off at the "A" Street exit.
Go East, and less than 1/4 mile, turn left on Hathaway. There is a Costco
on the corner of Hathaway. The street is Hathaway to the left, the same
street is called Santa Clara on the right. Go down a half mile on
Hathaway. We'll be on the left side of the road.
Time: 4:30 P.M. - 6:00 P.M.
Cost: $25.00 per session - includes 1 free book! Any manipulative
materials purchased will be discounted 10 %.
Who: Course designed for new teachers or teachers who want to learn about
specific material and topics.
When:
April 15 - Pattern Blocks, Levels K-12 (Geometry / Algebra)
April 29- Base Ten Math, Levels K-12 (Number Sense / Operations)
May 6 - Tangrams and Fraction Tiles, Levels K - 12 (Geometry / Fractions)
May 20 - Multilinks, Metric Geoblocks, Levels K-12 (Geometry / Measurement
/ Algebraic Thinking)
To register, or for more information: (510)-782-1300