Re: pinhole Quicksilver

From: Steven Eiger (eiger@montana.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 11 2002 - 10:25:47 PDT

Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 11:25:47 -0600
From: Steven Eiger <eiger@montana.edu>
Subject: Re: pinhole Quicksilver

Don't know, but I spent countless hours as a youth converting pennies into
dimes and nickels by coating them with mercury. It was very quick,
certainly easier than digging etc. I am perplexed as to why this early
fascination with finance has not led me to a more well-paid mode of
employment. I do remember another silvery event. I was in a hospital
waiting room, waiting for the effects of an overdose of marijuana to wear
off, and the large rolling blood pressure cuff device was just too
interesting to not play with. I pumped up the pressure and was having a
great time, and then there was a volcanic eruption of that liquid silver
stuff out of the top. I had fun putting all the little droplets together.
Now the reason for the story, that silver stuff sure is quick - especially
when falling off the edge of a table. Mr. Eiger (reformed)

>Does anyone (everyone but me) know why Hg is called
>Quicksilver? (Latin work "hydrargyrum" means liquid
>silver-but where did Quick come from?) thanks Dan

>pinhole' (without the quotes) in the SUBJECT of the email.
>
>Check out what your colleagues have written on Pinhole in the Pinhole
>archives at: http://saturn.exploratorium.edu/ti/alumni/pinhole.html

Steven Eiger, Ph.D.

Department of Cell Biology and Neuroscience and the WWAMI Medical Education
Program
PO Box 173148
Montana State University - Bozeman
Bozeman, MT 59717-3148