The cost to make a laser

From: Art Fortgang (afortga@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Apr 19 2002 - 10:53:25 PDT

Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 10:53:25 -0700 (PDT)
From: Art Fortgang <afortga@yahoo.com>
Subject: The cost to make a laser

Metrologic sells lasers in the 600 nm range (red-
orange) for about $300. Their green laser (about 550
nm) costs nearly $800. I think I understand why the
green laser ought to cost more to manufacture, but I
don't know why it should be nearly three times as
expensive (assuming the cost to consumer ratio roughly
equals the manufacturing cost ratio of the two). Does
anyone know why there is a 2.5:1 ratio in
manufacturing costs.

Cheers

Art