Re: pinhole wave question

From: Tucker Hiatt (hiattu00@usfca.edu)
Date: Sat Apr 27 2002 - 17:57:44 PDT

Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2002 17:57:44 -0700
From: Tucker Hiatt <hiattu00@usfca.edu>
Subject: Re: pinhole wave question

Here's another way of thinking about the problem of increasing radio
wave power without increasing wave frequency:

Since radio wave power is a function of frequency AND amplitude,
increase the amplitude of the waves. How? Drive the electrons in
the transmitting radio antenna "harder" (i.e. with greater amplitude
of oscillation), not more frequently.

Paul D's earlier answer ("send more photons") used the particle model
of electromagnetic radiation. My answer uses the wave model. The
fun begins when you try to blend the two models. ;-)

- Tucker

--
Tucker Hiatt, Director

Truth is a great flirt. - Franz Liszt ***********************************