- Learning Studio - week of April 28

From: Gilles Poitras (gilles@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Fri May 03 2002 - 12:04:54 PDT

Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 12:04:54 -0700
From: Gilles Poitras <gilles@exploratorium.edu>
Subject:  - Learning Studio - week of April 28

A busy week. It seems that to do anything takes three times lobnger than
usual. But this is not a bad thing it just means

WEB SITE OF THE WEEK:

California Academy of Sciences - Skulls
http://www.calacademy.org/exhibits/skulls/

I haven't made it over to see this yet but the web site is beautifully
made. I especially like the way they avoided clutter, a problem that
plagues all too many web sites.

PRINTED, NEW ACQUISITIONS:

Interval.
[San Diego, Calif., J. Glasier]
ML 3809 .I61 19uu General collection circ.

Not actually a book, even tho' we shelve it there, this is a scarce
periodical on microtonal music that we have scattered issues of. For this
reason we have decided to shelve it with the books in a binder. Each issue
is in a plastic sleeve to protect it.

We even have had CDs of this music in the collection, shelved on the
Paperback rack, for some time.

Both by Jonathan Glasier:

1. Open Hear : Just Intonation Vocal Harmonics

2. The Microtonal Music of Jonathan Glasier

For more info see the Center for Microtonal Music in Southern California.
http://www.ixpres.com/interval/

VIDEO, NEW ACQUISITIONS

--------------
First a little tale. Last week I posted that we now have a VHS copy of
Close Encounters of the Third Kind. A couple of days later I received this
message from staff member Debra Bainum.

> VIDEO, NEW ACQUISITIONS
>
> Close Encounters of the Third Kind / a Columbia/EMI presentation ; written
> and directed by Steven Spielberg ; produced by Julia Phillips and Michael
> Phillips.

Long ago when I had my animation ink and paint service, this studio called
me and asked if I would 'help out' with their movie "Close Encounters of the
Third Kind" (probably painting mats or something). I pondered on it for a
few seconds and said "No" because (by the title) I thought it was probably
some dorky love story.

Needless to say, when I saw the movie, I regretted my hasty decision.

-Debbie

A True Story

-----------

OK and now for a new video:

Water cycle [videorecording] / Andrej Zdravic and Paul Doherty, Ph.D.,
science advisor.
General collection circ.
GB 663 .Z38 1993
General collection non-circ.
GB 663 .Z38 1993

As these came without box art Jo created different art, a splash for the
circulating copy and ice for the non-circulating copy.

ONLINE RESOURCES:

Note:
The online books listed in these reports are freely available over the
Internet.
No passwords are required.

So far this week I have found a large set of new free online publications.

New Books and pamphlets: 20
New Maps: 15
New Periodicals: 1

And more may still be added today or tomorrow.

For the list and links see:
http://www.exploratorium.edu/ls/infosources/eBooksNew.html

Some of these documents may be in PDF format and require the use of a free
reader.
        http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readermain.html

Gilles Poitras gilles@exploratorium.edu
Learning Studio, Exploratorium Museum