Re: pinhole re: a question on heat

From: pauld@exploratorium.edu
Date: Mon May 13 2002 - 12:37:38 PDT

From: pauld@exploratorium.edu
Subject: Re: pinhole re: a question on heat
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 12:37:36 US/Pacific

Those 5'th graders did a pretty good job of getting to the basic differences
between evaporation and boiling.

Evaporation happens at the surface. and boiling happens within the liquid.

Put some water into an evacuated chamber, ignore what happens at first.
When you come back you find liquid water in part of the chamber, and water vapor
in the other part. The water vapor has a pressure, the "vapor pressure."
If you increase the temperature, the vapor pressure increases exponentially.

At room temperature the vapor pressure of water might be 3% of an atmosphere of
pressure.
Thus water at room temperature evaporates until it comprises 3% of the
atmosphere.

At 100 °C the vapor pressure is 1 atmosphere.
This is a large enough vapor pressure that bubbles of gas can form within the
liquid. The liquid boils. Also the amount of water vapor leaving the surface
greatly increases.

The liquid is a liquid because the water molecules are bound together.
To break these bonds requires energy whether the bonds are broken during boiling
or evaporation.

Paul D