- Learning Studio - week of May 19

From: Gilles Poitras (gilles@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Fri May 24 2002 - 10:29:18 PDT

Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 10:29:18 -0700
From: Gilles Poitras <gilles@exploratorium.edu>
Subject:  - Learning Studio - week of May 19

This week saw the death of Steven Jay Gould one of the best writers on
science for educated lay people. We have created a display in the Learning
Studio of his books that are in the collection. Drop by and check one or
more out.

This week is also the anniversary (May 23 1829) of the patenting of the
accordion in Austria. The rest is musical history. Here at the learning
studio we have been playing lots of accordion music from all over the
world, some French pieces are playing as I type this.

For more see;

http://trfn.clpgh.org/free-reed/history/demian.html

WEB SITE OF THE WEEK:

Campaign Launched to Eliminate Tsetse Fly,
http://www.iaea.org/worldatom/Press/P_release/2002/prn0202.shtml

A web page at the International Atomic Energy Agency on a project that
releases massive amounts of sterile male tsetse flies. Tsetse flies carry
the parasite trypanosome, a major source of animal and human death in
Africa. The male flies are irradiated and released into the environment to
compete with fertile males.

A test project in Zanzibar totally eliminated the fly from that island in
1997. There is a lot of territory to cover as the flies have spread to
almost a third of Africa.

PRINTED, NEW ACQUISITIONS:

1. Lone Star Dinosaurs / by Louis Jacobs ; original artwork by Karen Carr.
General collection circ.
QE 862 .D5 J285 1995

Big ( and small) beasties in a big state. lots of information, photos and
great color reproductions of paintings.

2. The butterfly garden / Mathew Tekulsky ; illustrated by Susanah Brown ;
introduction by Robert Michael Pyle.
General collection circ.
QL 544 .T45 1985
General collection non-circ.
QL 544 .T45 1985

Then we have small beasties. This book helps you set up an environment to
attract butterflies. You don't even need much space as some of this can be
done in a window box. In fact if you are a teacher you may want to talk to
the grounds staff at your school about allowing some milkweed to grow and
attract monarch butterflies which only lay their eggs on this plant.

3. Golden Gate gardening : the guide to year-round food gardening in the
San Francisco Bay area & coastal California / by Pam Peirce ;
[illustrations, Mimi Osborne].
General collection circ.
SB 321 .P45 1993

Then we have food gardening, worth doing anywhere. Many food plants can
also attract insects that could be used in biology classes. some butterfly
attracting food plants include cabbage, tomatto and fennel. Just be sure
you or your students don't kill any worms or caterpillars eating the
plants. Tip if you are thinking of planting food plants near structures
have the soil tested for lead first, especially if the buildings are old,
or there were buildings there at one time.

Gilles Poitras gilles@exploratorium.edu
Learning Studio, Exploratorium Museum