Re: Pinhole Digest #929 - 05/25/02

From: Mark Lawton (markslawton@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat May 25 2002 - 09:16:37 PDT

Date: Sat, 25 May 2002 09:16:37 -0700
Subject: Re: Pinhole Digest #929 - 05/25/02
From: Mark Lawton <markslawton@hotmail.com>

Geoff,

You raise a good question:

If the limiting factor is the resistance of the bulb then what is the
distinction between a bulb/battery and a flash/capacitor.

The main factor is the voltage. Typical batteries are in the tens of volts.
I believe the voltage of the charged capacitor in a flash is 1000's of
volts.

The capacitor discharges exponentially. When time elasped = Resistance of
circuit * Capacitance ... the voltage will have dropped to 37% of it's
initial value. So, the resistance & capacitance combination is chosen by
the designers so that the flash of light corresponds to the shutter speed.

Does this help?

I can't say much about the nature of the internal resistance other than to
say the all materials have resistance. If the charge passes through the
metals energy will be lost to heat.

-Mark