- Learning Studio - week of May 26

From: Gilles Poitras (gilles@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Fri May 31 2002 - 10:34:10 PDT

Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 10:34:10 -0700
From: Gilles Poitras <gilles@exploratorium.edu>
Subject:  - Learning Studio - week of May 26

Another week and another month winds down.

This is the last week of the fiscal year. And as some funds became
available for purchases we are processing a pile of books to announce.

I'll be announcing them a little at a time but this week I am announcing
all of the titles I had been slowly informing you of.

There are enough books this week that I will skip writing descriptions and
simply list them in no particular order. I have placed them all on the New
Arrivals shelf near the front door. In fact this week I am listing the
usual single web site, 21 books, an object and 2 videos.

Next week I'll be back to the custom of announcing a few titles each week.

WEB SITE OF THE WEEK:

BrainInfo: A Primate Brain Information System
http://braininfo.rprc.washington.edu/

A neuroanatomy atlas with a really simple and attractive home page. While
the graphic is what caught my eye this University of Washington site is
also a solid source of information on brain structure.

PRINTED, NEW ACQUISITIONS:

1. Scourge: the Once and Future Threat of Smallpox / Jonathan B. Tucker.
General collection circ.
RC 183.1 .T83 2001

2. Imagining Space: Achievements, Predictions, Possibilities, 1950-2050 /
Roger D. Launius, Howard E. McCurdy ; foreword by Ray Bradbury.
General collection circ.
TL 788.5 .L38 2001

3. Physics, the Human Adventure : from Copernicus to Einstein and Beyond /
Gerald Holton and Stephen G. Brush.
General collection circ.
Q 160 .H654 2001

4. The Antarctic Challenged / Mountevans, Edward Ratcliffe Garth Russell
Evans, baron, 1880-1957.
General collection circ.
G 870 .M73 1956

5. Flatterland : Like Flatland, Only More So / Ian Stewart.
General collection circ.
QA 699 .S74 2001

6. Sacred Geometry / written and illustrated by Miranda Lundy.
General collection circ.
QA 445 .L86 2001

7. Random House American Sign Language dictionary / Elaine Costello ;
illustrated by Lois Lenderman, Paul M. Setzer, Linda C. Tom.
Reference (Non-circulating)
HV 2475 .C66 1994

8. Principles Of Electricity; An Intermediate Text In Electricity And
Magnetism, by Leigh Page ... and Norman Ilsley Adams, jr. ...
General collection circ.
QC 518 .P32 1931

9. College Algebra, With Problems And Solutions : A Pre-Calculus Algebra /
by Irwin K. Feinstein, Kenneth H. Murphy.
General collection circ.
QA 154.2 .F44 1982

10. Anatomy of the Human Body, R. D. Lockhart, G. F. Hamilton, and F. W.
Fyfe.
General collection circ.
QM 23 .L75 1966

11. What's so Funny About Science? : Cartoons / by Sidney Harris from
American scientist ; foreword by Herbert S. Bailey, Jr.
General collection circ.
Q 167 .H37 A4 1977 Available
Actually a second copy of the cartoon collection from American Scientist.

12. Albert Einstein: Theoretical Physicist.
General collection circ.
QC 16 .E5 F6 1963

13. Information Arts : Intersections Of Art, Science, And Technology /
Stephen Wilson.
General collection circ.
N 72 .S3 W55 2002

14. Camping With The Prince And Other Tales Of Science In Africa / Thomas
A. Bass.
General collection circ.
T 12.25 .B37 1990

15. Useful Mathematical and Physical Formulae / Matthew Watkins ;
illustrations by Matt Tweed.
General collection circ.
QA 41 .W37 2001

16. Sun, Moon, & Earth / written and illustrated by Robin Heath.
General collection circ.
QB 501 .A8 H47 2001

17. Gaviotas : A Village To Reinvent The World / Alan Weisman.
General collection circ.
GE 160 .C7 W45 1998

18. Making Museums Matter / Stephen E. Weil.
General collection circ.
AM 7 .W3925 2002

19. The New Basics : Education And The Future Of Work In The Telematic Age
/ David
Thornburg.
General collection circ.
LB 1028.3 .T564 2002

20. Blind Watchers of the Sky : the people and ideas that shaped our view
of the universe / Rocky Kolb.
General collection circ.
QB 981 .K689 1996

21. Where Mathematics Comes From : how the embodied mind brings mathematics
into being / George Lakoff, Rafael E. Numez.
General collection circ.
QA 141.15 .L37 2000

OBJECT:

House Of Cards [game] : A 32 Card Set Selected From The Pattern And Picture
Decks / designed by Charles Eames. [ B.Biblio. ]
Classroom activity circ.
GV 1218 .B6 E25 1992

VIDEO, NEW ACQUISITIONS

1. The Science of Whales / a Bo Boudart production for Discovery Channel ;
Wonder Visions.
General collection circ.
QL 737 .C4 S25 1998

2. Fractals [videorecording] : an animated discussion / Spektrum Videothek
; a film by H.-O. Peitgen, H. Jurgens, D. Saupe, C. Zahlten.
General collection circ.
QA 614.86 .F724 1990
General collection non-circ.
QA 614.86 .F724 1990