solar halo display

From: Paul Doherty (pauld@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 04 2002 - 17:01:02 PDT

Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 17:01:02 -0700
From: Paul Doherty <pauld@exploratorium.edu>
Subject: solar halo display

On monday this week and at times over the last two weeks there have been
fantastic displays of solar halos over the bay area.

On Monday I saw a very bright 22 degree halo around the sun. One of the
brightest I have ever seen. (This halo is made when sunlight refracts
through ice crystals.)

Between the halo and the horizon was a horizontal (slightly up curving)
band of colors. The circumhorizontal arc. It is also caused by light
refracting through ice crystals.

Then there was also a white circle centered on the zenith, passing through
the sun itself. This rare arc was a parhelic circle made by light
reflecting off the faces of ice crystals.

What did other pinholers see?

Paul Doherty