Sierra questions

From: Geoff Ruth (gruth@leadershiphigh.org)
Date: Mon Jun 17 2002 - 22:18:46 PDT

Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 22:18:46 -0700
From: Geoff Ruth <gruth@leadershiphigh.org>
Subject: Sierra questions

I had a few questions after hiking in the Sierras for a week:

1. How do fish get into lakes when they can't swim into them from a
lower elevation? I saw a number of high Sierra lakes in which the
streams draining the lakes went down cliffs (ie, were waterfalls) or
went underground beneath massive piles of boulders. Either way, I
couldn't imagine how fish would get into the lakes originally.

2. What makes the alpine glow in the mountains?

3. Is there a formula for figuring out what % of the atmosphere
you're above when you're at a certain elevation? I was at 13,000 feet
on Saturday and I was curious how much oxygen there was in the air.

- Geoff