Re: Erin's question about Disease Control

From: Art Fortgang (afortga@smcoe.k12.ca.us)
Date: Sun Jun 23 2002 - 11:27:22 PDT

From: "Art Fortgang" <afortga@smcoe.k12.ca.us>
Subject: Re: Erin's question  about Disease Control
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 11:27:22 -0700

Erin

I don't think the following book is written at the 8th grade level.
However, as a physics and math kind of guy who didn't care much for biology
in hs, Why Zebra's Don't Get Ulcers is the best biology book I have read.
Starting with the premise that when a zebra sees a lion produces chemical
changes and then seeing similar chemical reactions in humans when they just
miss their bus on the way to work, you are introduced to the bodies chemical
decision making process. The book specifically deals with stress as
disease, but certainly goes beyond that in showing the bodies methods in
fighting off disease in general. After reading this book, I wished that I
took a biology class with this book as the text. Again, it is too advanced
for 8th graders to read, but might make for some interesting activiites and
discussions for you to use in class. It is a great summer read.

Cheers

Art