Re: disease control readings

From: Gail Peiterson (peite@punahou.edu)
Date: Mon Jun 24 2002 - 14:06:51 PDT

From: "Gail Peiterson" <peite@punahou.edu>
Subject: Re: disease control readings
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 11:06:51 -1000

Aloha, Erin

"Fire in the Turtle House" which is the story of the FP tumors on green sea
turtles. It reads like a murder mystery as scientist pieced together the
causes of these tumors. Easy to read and filled with history. Here's a
website about it. While It does not focus on human biology it is easy to
read and hard to put down. Even if not for your class, it would be great
for an AP Environmental class. it talks about human impact on the ocean and
its creatures, through over fishing pollution and habitat loss.

I worked for 3 years with George Balazs in Honolulu and find it true to
character. I would love any other suggestions for good books from other pin
holers to drag out under a coconut tree and read in the tropical breeze this
summer.

Aloha
 Gail Peiterson
Punahou School
Honolulu, Hi
PublicAffairs
A scientific detective story, grippingly told by an award-winning
journalist: A mysterious, deadly infection is killing off one of the
ocean's most beloved and ancient creatures. Why? And what does it
mean about the fate of the oceans? For anyone who cares about the ...
http://www.publicaffairsbooks.com/books/fire.html