Re: Pinhole Digest #951 - 06/23/02

From: MarteeGC@aol.com
Date: Tue Jun 25 2002 - 19:38:34 PDT

From: MarteeGC@aol.com
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 22:38:34 EDT
Subject: Re: Pinhole Digest #951 - 06/23/02

Summer Reading List for 8th grade advance science kids.

Winner of the National Book Award "The Lives of a cell, Notes of a Biology
Watcher" by Lewis Thomas
This book is subtitled Notes of a Biology Watcher - yet it takes us far
beyond the usual limits of biological science and into a vast and wondrous
world of hidden relationships. Computers, germs, language, music, death,
insects and medicine are just some of the topics touched on in this bold and
subtle vision of humankind and the world around us. In deed, the complex
interdependence of all things is the book's provocative theme. Lewis Thomas
writes, "Once you have become permanently startled as I am, by the
realization that we are a social species, you tend to keep an eye out for
pieces of evidence that this is, by and large, a good thing for us."

Berton Roueche has this to say: "Lewis Thomas looks at the perplexities of
human biology-the exquisitely ordered commotion beneath the skin-with the
poetic excitement that is the invariable signal of true science."

Also by Lewis Thomas, "The Medusa and the Snail, More Notes of a Bioloby
Watcher."
The wonderful sequel to Lewis Thomas' bestselling The Lives of a cell.
Washington Post Book World says: "What a book...If it doesn't activate your
sense of wonder, I can only suggest that you go to bed for a day or two."