Re: pinhole Sierra questions

From: Paul Doherty (pauld@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Thu Jun 27 2002 - 15:32:01 PDT

Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 15:32:01 -0700
From: Paul Doherty <pauld@exploratorium.edu>
Subject: Re: pinhole Sierra questions

Note that to 20% 5.6 km is 15,000 feet

I was giving the easy to remember rule that the atmospheric pressure
decreases 1 inch of mercury per thousand feet (which is precise.)

Using this linear approximation you reach the half height pressure at
15,000 feet.

Paul Hewitt was giving the half-height for the exponential model of the
atmosphere which is more correct. However the expopnential model depends on
temperature and latitude and so can vary by over 1000 feet.

For a "standard" atmosphere at mid latitudes Paul H's 5.6 km or 18,000 ft.
half-height is more precise.

My approximation is easy to remember.

So we both are right within the models we were using.

Paul D