- Learning Studio - week of June 23

From: Gilles Poitras (gilles@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Sat Jun 29 2002 - 09:27:41 PDT

Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2002 09:27:41 -0700
From: Gilles Poitras <gilles@exploratorium.edu>
Subject:  - Learning Studio - week of June 23

This week we have the usual new titles as well as tips on searching the
Learning Studio catalog.

SEARCHING TIPS:

While these apply specifically to our catalog
(http://library.exploratorium.edu/) they can be useful for some other
library catalogs.

When using Simple Search if you are not finding much choose the ANY index
in the Index Name pull down menu. This searches all of the indexes.

For precise searching use the SUBJCT index. This is more accurate than
title as the subject of a book is rarely clearly identified in the title.

As this is keyword searching using the subject headings for finding books
can get you similar but not quite the same subjects which are shelved in
slightly different places.

More tips next week.

WEB PAGE OF THE WEEK:

Estimated Present-Day Area and Volume of Glaciers and Maximum Sea Level
Rise Potential
http://pubs.usgs.gov/factsheet/fs133-99/gl_vol.html

Ever wonder how high sea levels would rise if the West Antarctica glacier
ice were to melt?

Recently I was looking into the impact of global warming on coastal areas.
I quickly realized that the EPA was not looking at the West coast as our
coastline is so much steeper than the rest of the country. But we have this
large flat low lying inland area called the Central Valley. What would the
effect of a large sea level rise have on that area?

Well lets look at some crude elevation numbers I quickly dug off the web.

Roughly from South to North:

Fairfield 15 ft
Stockton 15ft
Sacramento Metro Airport 20ft
Yuba City 55 ft.
Chico 230 ft

Then compare the numbers on the web site and you get a rough idea of some
of the effects a dramatic rise in sea levels would have on California.

UPDATED WEB GUIDES:

This week I concentrated on the Mathematics page.
http://www.exploratorium.edu/ls/infosources/MathInfo.html

It still needs alot of work but I have a large set of suggested links
gathered by Ron Wong who is volunteering to help improve the pages.

PRINTED, NEW ACQUISITIONS:

1. Great Physicists : the life and times of leading physicists from Galileo
to Hawking / William H. Cropper.
General collection circ.
QC 15 .C76 2001

Who was it that did that? What else if that person noted for? A good place
to begin looking with lots of information in a relatively small space.

2. The New Solar System / edited by J. Kelly Beatty, Carolyn Collins
Petersen, Andrew Chaikin.
General collection non-circ.
QB 501 .N47 1999

The 4th edition of a great work on the solar system and humanities
exploration of it. Great pictures and visual aids. One of my favorites is
on page 207, an image of a hotspot on Jupiter with the outline of Australia
to scale.

NEW INTERNET eTEXTS:

Another busy week. 16 books and pamphlets, 8 databases, and 18 periodicals,
yes 18 free electronic periodicals and all at NASA.

New Books and pamphlets:

1. 1994 Health Framework for California Public Schools: K-12 (244pp.:1.3MB)
http://www.cde.ca.gov/cdepress/health-frame.pdf

2. 2002 Style Manual for the California Department of Education (95pp.:1.4MB)
http://www.cde.ca.gov/cdepress/cde-style-manual-2002.pdf

3. The Antiquities Act of 1906
By Ronald F. Lee
http://www.cr.nps.gov/aad/pubs/INDEX.HTM

4. Assessing biological effects from highway-runoff constituents,
by D. R. Buckler and G. E. Granato.
http://ma.water.usgs.gov/fhwa/products/ofr99-240.pdf

5. Challenge ToolKits
http://www.cde.ca.gov/challenge/toolkits.html

6. Education Technology Planning: A Guide for School Districts
http://www.cde.ca.gov/ctl/edtechplan.pdf

7. The Encyclopedia of World History: Ancient, Medieval, and Modern (sixth
edition, 2001),
ed. by Peter N. Stearns
http://www.bartleby.com/67/
Flatland (second edition) by Edwin A. Abbott
illustrated HTML at Eldritch Press
http://www.eldritchpress.org:8080/eaa/FL.HTM
Gutenberg text with ASCII illustrations
http://digital.library.upenn.edu/webbin/gutbook/lookup?num=201 The Future
Does Not Compute: Transcending the Machines in Our Midst by Stephen L.
Talbott
http://www.oreilly.com/people/staff/stevet/fdnc/index.html

8. Learning...Teaching...Leading... Report of the Professional Development
Task Force
http://www.cde.ca.gov/cdepress/learnteachlead.pdf

9. List of Hazardous Art and Craft Materials that Can Not be Purchased for
Use in Grades K- 6
http://www.oehha.org/education/art/getart.html
Macintosh Human Interface Guidelines by Apple Computer
http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/mac/HIGuidelines/HIGuidelines-2.html

10. Mathematics Content Standards for California Public Schools
HTML:
http://www.cde.ca.gov/standards/math/
PDF:
http://www.cde.ca.gov/board/pdf/math.pdf
Moths to the Flame: The Seductions of Computer Technology by Gregory J. E.
Rawlins
http://www-mitpress.mit.edu/e-books/Moths/

11. Multibeam data and socio-economic issues in west-central San Francisco
Bay, CA,
by J. L. Chin, P. R. Carlson, F. L. Wong and D. A. Cacchione.
http://sfbay.wr.usgs.gov/access/mapping/multibeam/
Open Sources: Voices from the Open Source Revolution, ed. by Chris DiBona,
Sam Ockman, and Mark Stone
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/opensources/book/toc.html

12. Proceedings of a workshop on digital mapping techniques; methods for
geologic map data capture, management, and publication,
edited by D. R. Soller.
http://pubs.usgs.gov/openfile/of97-269/
ResEdit Reference
http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/mac/resedit/resedit-2.html

13. Science Content Standards for California Public Schools
HTML:
http://www.cde.ca.gov/standards/science/
PDF:
http://www.cde.ca.gov/board/pdf/science.pdf

14. Scientific and Technical Acronyms, Symbols and Abbreviations
http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/stasa/

15. Storms from the Sun: The Emerging Science of Space Weather
Michael J. Carlowicz and Ramon E. Lopez
http://www.nap.edu/books/0309076420/html/
Trapped in the Net: The Unanticipated Consequences of Computerization by
Gene I. Rochlin
http://pup.princeton.edu/books/rochlin/

16. When the Censor Comes: A Guide for Teachers, Librarians, Booksellers
and Others Who Disseminate the Printed Word,
by Sandra Bernstein
http://www.freedomtoread.ca/censor/censor.htm

New Databases:

1. Data base of impact craters on Venus based on analysis of Magellan radar
images and altimetry data,
by G. G. Schaber, R. L. Kirk and R. G. Strom.
http://wwwflag.wr.usgs.gov/USGSFlag/Space/venus/venus_title.html

2. A digital version of the 1970 U.S. Geological Survey topographic map of
the San Francisco Bay region, three sheets, 1:125,000,
by D. S. Aiken.
http://wrgis.wr.usgs.gov/open-file/of97-500/

3. Geologic map of Santa Cruz County, California; a digital database,
compiled by E. E. Brabb.
http://wrgis.wr.usgs.gov/open-file/of97-489/

4. Geology of Point Reyes National Seashore and Vicinity, California: A
Digital Database
By: Joseph C. Clark and Earl E. Brabb
http://wrgis.wr.usgs.gov:80/open-file/of97-456/

5. Geology of the onshore part of San Mateo County, California; a digital
database,
by E. E. Brabb, R. W. Graymer and D. L. Jones.
http://wrgis.wr.usgs.gov/open-file/of98-137/

6. Geology of the southernmost part of Santa Clara County, California; a
digital database,
by R. W. Graymer.
http://wrgis.wr.usgs.gov/open-file/of97-710/

7. Preliminary geologic map of the San Francisco South 7.5' quadrangle and
part of the Hunters Point 7.5' quadrangle, San Francisco Bay area,
California; a digital database,
by M. G. Bonilla.
http://wrgis.wr.usgs.gov/open-file/of98-354/

8. Quaternary geology and liquefaction susceptibility, San Francisco,
California 1:100,000 quadrangle; a digital database,
by K. L. Knudsen, J. S. Noller, J. M. Sowers and W. R. Lettis.
http://wrgis.wr.usgs.gov/open-file/of97-715/

New Periodicals:

1. Aerospace Technology Innovation
http://nctn.hq.nasa.gov/innovation/index.html

2. Astrogram Ames Research Center
http://amesnews.arc.nasa.gov/pages/astrogramarchive.html

3. Discovery Dispatch
http://discovery.jpl.nasa.gov/newsletters_archive.html

4. Goddard News - Office of Public Affairs at the Goddard Space Flight
Center (GSFC)
http://www.gsfc.nasa.gov/gsfc/gnews/gnews.htm

5. Heads Up - NASA Headquarters
http://www.hq.nasa.gov/heads-up/

6. Inside Wallops - Wallops Flight Facility (WFF)
http://www.wff.nasa.gov/pages/recentnewsletters.html

7. Insights Magazine - High Performance Computing and Communications (HPCC)
program office at NASA Ames Research Center
http://www.hpcc.nasa.gov/insights.htm

8. KSC Countdown Newsletter - Kennedy Space Center
http://www-pao.ksc.nasa.gov/kscpao/ksccount/2001/2001.htm

9. Marshall Star - Marshall Space Flight Center (MSFC)
http://www1.msfc.nasa.gov/STAR/

10. Microgravity News
http://mgnews.msfc.nasa.gov/site/newsindex.html

11. NASA Spinoff On-line
http://www.sti.nasa.gov/tto/spinoff.html

12. SISN Newsletter - The Science Information Systems Newsletter (SISN)
http://www-sisn.jpl.nasa.gov/

13. Space News Roundup - Johnson Space Center (JSC)
http://www.jsc.nasa.gov/pao/roundup/weekly/

14. Space RAD Health Newsletter
http://srhp.jsc.nasa.gov/Newsletter/index.html

15. Spaceport News - Kennedy Space Center (KSC)
http://www-pao.ksc.nasa.gov/kscpao/snews/snewstoc.htm

16. STI Bulletin
http://www.sti.nasa.gov/Pubs/Bulletin/bulintro.htm

17. Universe - Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL)
http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/employee_newspaper.html

18. X-Press - Dryden Flight Research Center (DFRC)
http://www.dfrc.nasa.gov/PAO/X-Press/

Gilles Poitras gilles@exploratorium.edu
Learning Studio, Exploratorium Museum