Acceleration to speed of light

From: Raleigh McLemore (raleighmclemore@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Aug 08 2002 - 17:53:22 PDT

Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 17:53:22 -0700 (PDT)
From: Raleigh McLemore <raleighmclemore@yahoo.com>
Subject: Acceleration to speed of light

A stupid science fiction movie adult type question.
The disagreement began around some rocket sled videos
we saw, humans sujected to enormous g-forces, and a
discussion that humans can only "sustain" about eight
continous g's ("gees"?) and function (someone heard
this was the human limit to fighter pilots?). We were
all impressed with our ignorance on this, but the
question of how fast could we accelerate a human
towards the speed of light came up and the argument
was far better than the movie. We even "overcame"
powersource limitations by imagining using a black
hole (yes,yes, stay out of the point of no return) to
accerate our theoretical traveler...but it seems that
we are just doomed by our physiology to certain
limits. I'm reasonably sure that rapid acceleration
towards the speed of light will create a need for
further orthodontic treatments, but other than that I
dunno.

Restating questions:

How much acceleration can a human sustain?
How long would it take, at this maximum rate, to get
to 1/2 the speed of light?

By the way, what did the fish say when it hit the
wall?

Dam.

With firm handshake,
Raleigh