- Learning Studio - week of August 4

From: Gilles Poitras (gilles@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Fri Aug 09 2002 - 11:16:08 PDT

Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 11:16:08 -0700
From: Gilles Poitras <gilles@exploratorium.edu>
Subject: - Learning Studio - week of August 4

As I've said before, and probably will again "Another week gone already!"

This week I actually have more than I originally planned. I really did not
expect to have many new links in the New Internet eTexts section below. I
figured I would have 5 or so new links, then I hit a couple of rich veins
of resources while working on the Web Information Sources for Educators
pages and the number of items rapidly climbed. Total count for this week is
33 New Books and Pamphlets, 2 New Databases, and 15 New Periodicals, all
free and online.

OK on to the stuff:

WEB PAGE OF THE WEEK:

Spare the Air
http://www.sparetheair.org/
http://www.sparetheair.org/air_quality.htm

While this is the site for the SF Bay Area there is probably a site for
where you live. For example http://www.sparetheair.com/ covers the
Sacramento area.

The reason I'm putting this one up is that I rely on this site at this time
of year to help me plan my workflow. I know this sounds odd but I have
respiratory trouble and if I know the air is expected to get bad I can plan
to do more difficult tasks right away and then not for a few days until the
air clears. In my case if the ozone level gets above 30 I start feeling it
and anything up to 50 is within the 'Good' range. Today (Friday) is
expected to be a 35.

SCIENCE NEWS:

Chickens on guard for West Nile virus
State using birds as early warning system
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2002/08/06/MN159056.DTL

UPDATED WEB GUIDES:

This week I did a quick check of all of the guides and did lots of small
changes. Two pages continued to see many more links added:

Earth System Science
http://www.exploratorium.edu/ls/infosources/EarthSystemInfo.html
and
The Hydrosphere
http://www.exploratorium.edu/ls/infosources/Hydrosphere.html

PRINTED, NEW ACQUISITIONS:

Math books continued again, one more time.

1. Ingenious mathematical problems and methods.
General collection circ.
QA 95 .G72 1959

2. Mathematics, magic and mystery. / Martin Gardner
General collection circ.
QA 95 .G27 1956

3. Puzzles in math and logic; 100 new recreations, by Aaron J. Friedland.
General collection circ.
QA 95 .F73 1970

NEW INTERNET eTEXTS:

Each week I will list online materials are freely available over the Internet.
These materials were located in the past week by Learning Studio staff.

Some of these documents may be in PDF format and require the use of a free
reader.
 http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readermain.html

Additions for the week of August 4:

New Books and Pamphlets:

1. AIBS Review of Biological Instructional Materials for Secondary Schools,
March 2001
http://www.aibs.org/outreach/resources/TextbookReview.pdf

2. Bacteriological Analytical Manual
http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~ebam/bam-toc.html

3. Bacterial Nomenclature Up-to-date
http://www.gbf-braunschweig.de/dsmz/bactnom/bactname.htm

4. BBL Quality Control and Product Information Manual for Prepared Media
http://www.bd.com/clinical/QCPI/qcpidownload.asp

5. Biological Study Nonindigenous Aquatic Species in a United States
Estuary: A Case Study of the Biological Invasions of the San Francisco Bay
and Delta
http://elib.cs.berkeley.edu/TR/ELIB:701

6. The Compleat Cladist: A Primer of Phylogenetic Procedures
http://www.nhm.ukans.edu/cc.html

7. Fishes of the Sacramento-San Joaquin Estuary and Adjacent Waters,
California: A Guide to the Early Life Histories
http://elib.cs.berkeley.edu/kopec/tr9/html/home.html

8. Environmental Variability and Climate Change. PAGES.
Edited by Keith Alverson, Raymond Bradley and Thomas Pedersen. Stockholm:
IGBP, 31pp.
IGBP Science Series #3
http://www.igbp.kva.se//uploads/PAGES_IGBP3.pdf

9. Global Change and the Earth System: A planet under pressure. The Global
Environmental Programmes.
Edited by Will Steffen and Peter Tyson. Stockholm: IGBP, 32pp.
IGBP Science Series #4
http://www.igbp.kva.se//uploads/ESO_IGBP4.pdf

10. Invasive Alien Species: A Toolkit for Best Prevention and Management
Practices
http://www.cabi-bioscience.ch/wwwgisp/gt1goto.htm

11. Narrative Descriptions of Terrestrial Ecozones and Ecoregions of Canada
http://www.ec.gc.ca/soer-ree/English/Framework/NarDesc/

12. Ocean Biogeochemistry and Global Change. JGOFS.
Edited by Beatriz M. Baliño, Michael J. R. Fasham and Margaret C. Bowles.
Stockholm: IGBP, 32pp.
IGBP Science Series #2
http://www.igbp.kva.se//uploads/JGOFS_IGBP2.pdf

13. Principles and Standards for School Mathematics
http://www.nctm.org/standards/

14. SCOPE 5
Environmental Impact Assessment
http://www.icsu-scope.org/downloadpubs/scope5/index.html

15. SCOPE 29
The Greenhouse Effect, Climatic Change and Ecosystems
http://www.icsu-scope.org/downloadpubs/scope29/index.html

16. SCOPE 34
Practitioner's Handbook on the Modelling of Dynamic Change in Ecosystems
http://www.icsu-scope.org/downloadpubs/scope34/index.html

17. SCOPE 35
Scales and Global Change: Spatial and Temporal Variability in Biospheric
and Geospheric Processes
http://www.icsu-scope.org/downloadpubs/scope35/index.html

18. SCOPE 37
Biological Invasions - A Global Perspective
http://www.icsu-scope.org/downloadpubs/scope37/index37.html

19. SCOPE 42
Biogeochemistry of Major World Rivers
http://www.icsu-scope.org/downloadpubs/scope42/index.html

20. SCOPE 44
Genetically Designed Organisms in the Environment
http://www.icsu-scope.org/downloadpubs/scope44/index.html

21. SCOPE 45
Ecosystem Experiments
http://www.icsu-scope.org/downloadpubs/scope45/index45.html

22. SCOPE 47
Long-term Ecological Research: An International Perspective
http://www.icsu-scope.org/downloadpubs/scope47/index.html

23. SCOPE 48
Sulphur Cycling on the Continents: Wetlands, Terrestrial Ecosystems, and
Associated Water Bodies
http://www.icsu-scope.org/downloadpubs/scope48/index.html

24. SCOPE 51
Biogeochemistry of Small Catchments
http://www.icsu-scope.org/downloadpubs/scope51/index.html

25. SCOPE 53
Methods to Assess the Effects of Chemicals on Ecosystems
http://www.icsu-scope.org/downloadpubs/scope53/index.html

26. SCOPE 54
Phosphorus in the Global Environment - Transfers, Cycles and Management
http://www.icsu-scope.org/downloadpubs/scope54/index54.html

27. SCOPE 55
Functional Roles of Biodiversity - A Global Perspective
http://www.icsu-scope.org/downloadpubs/scope55/index55.html

28. SCOPE 56
Global change: Effects on Coniferous Forests and Grasslands
http://www.icsu-scope.org/downloadpubs/scope56/index56.html

29. SCOPE 57
Particle Flux in the Ocean
http://www.icsu-scope.org/downloadpubs/scope57/index57.html

30. SCOPE 58
Sustainability Indicators
http://www.icsu-scope.org/downloadpubs/scope58/index.html

31. Teaching and Learning Mathematics in Poor Communities
http://www.nctm.org/about/committees/rac/tfpc/

32. The Terrestrial Biosphere and Global Change: Implications for Natural
and Managed Ecosystems. A Synthesis of GCTE and Related Research (1997).
Edited by B. Walker and W. Steffen. Stockholm: IGBP, 31pp.
IGBP Science Series #1
http://www.igbp.kva.se//uploads/science_1.pdf

33. USDA/FSIS Microbiology Laboratory Guidebook
http://www.fsis.usda.gov/ophs/microlab/mlgbook.pdf

New Databases:

1. TreeBASE a Relational Database of Phylogenetic Knowledge
http://www.treebase.org/treebase/index.html

2. Database on Introductions of Aquatic Species (DIAS)
http://www.fao.org/WAICENT/FAOINFO/FISHERY/statist/fisoft/dias/mainpage.htm

New Periodicals:

1. BAHC Newsletter
(Biospheric Aspects of the Hydrological Cycle)
http://www.pik-potsdam.de/~bahc/products.html#news

2. Bay Area Monitor
http://www.bayareamonitor.org/

3. Bulletin of the American Mathematical Society
http://www.ams.org/bookstore/bull

4. California Wild
http://www.calacademy.org/calwild/

5. DOCUMENTA MATHEMATICA
http://www.math.uiuc.edu/documenta/

6. ESC News
http://www.eman-rese.ca/eman/reports/newsletters/escnews/intro.html

7. Global Change NewsLetter
http://www.igbp.kva.se/cgi-bin/php/pdf_list.show.php?section_id=18

8. IHDP UPDATE
http://www.ihdp.uni-bonn.de/html/publications/i-newsl.html

9. The Journal of Online Mathematics and its Applications
http://www.joma.org/

10. LOICZ Newsletter
(Land-Ocean Interactions in the Coastal Zone International Project)
http://www.nioz.nl/loicz/firstpages/fp-newsletters.htm

11. Micscape Magazine
http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/indexmag.html

12. New York Journal of Mathematics