[Info-resources] - Learning Studio - week of August 11

From: Gilles Poitras (gilles@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Sat Aug 17 2002 - 10:07:06 PDT

Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 10:07:06 -0700
From: Gilles Poitras <gilles@exploratorium.edu>
Subject: [Info-resources] - Learning Studio - week of August 11

Hello again:

This week I added many new linkt o several of our Web Information Sources
pages, far too many to list all the pages here but with a focus in the
various Earth sciences. Much of what I am doing these days is related to
creating better ways to provide access to online resources. This continues
to be reflected in the sheer volume of online resources I keep locating. In
many cases it would take someone starting cold a very large amount of time
to track down most of these items without knowing their exact name. If you
know of interesting resources that are not on our pages please let me know
and I will look at them and consider adding a link.

WEB PAGE OF THE WEEK:

NASA NEO (Near Earth Objects) Program Orbits
http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/orbits/

A special section of the NASA Near Earth Objects site. Such objects have
been in the news lately and this page is a good beginning point for
locating information on the subject. This site uses Java to display the
orbits of several objects and you can manipulate the images in several ways.

SCIENCE NEWS:

A few bits of news for folks this week.

Asteroid 2002 NT7: Potential Earth Impact In 2019 Ruled Out
http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news133.html

'Ready to tackle Armageddon'

Going to extremes to trace life
Organisms in Arctic glaciers, undersea volcanoes provide clues
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2002/08/12/MN86832.DTL&type=sci
ence

UPDATED WEB GUIDES:

New page:
Polar Studies
http://www.exploratorium.edu/ls/infosources/PolarInfo.html

PRINTED, NEW ACQUISITIONS:

Math books continued the last title.

Math and logic puzzles for PC enthusiasts / J.J. Clessa.
General collection circ.
QA 95 .C55 1996

NEW INTERNET eTEXTS:

Each week I will list online materials are freely available over the Internet.
These materials were located in the past week by Learning Studio staff.

Some of these documents may be in PDF format and require the use of a free
reader.
 http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readermain.html

This week I'll also highlight a web page that will be of use to many of the
teachers on this list.

Content Standards
for California Public Schools
Kindergarten Through Grade Twelve
http://www.cde.ca.gov/standards/

While we have linked to the science resources on this page on our
electronic text list some folks may find this direct link useful as it
includes more than the science curriculum. In fact I am now adding the
non-science standards to the text list for the eventual day when we can get
some of the links cataloged.

Additions for the week of August 11

New Books and Pamphlets:

1. 50 Years of cosmic ray research in Tasmania
Edited by Marc Duldig
ANARE Research Notes 102
http://www.antdiv.gov.au/science/publications/download/pdfs/ARN102_Duldig%20PDF/
default.asp

2. Antarctic Science in the Global Context 2000-2005, 2nd Edition
http://www.antarctica.ac.uk/Publications/asgc.pdf

3. Antarctic seals, whales and dolphins of the early twentieth century:
Marine mammals of the Australian Antarctic Expedition 1911-14 (AAE) and the
British, Australian and New Zealand Antarctic Research Expedition 1929-31
(BANZARE)
Edited by Peter D. Shaughnessy
ANARE Report 142
http://www.antdiv.gov.au/science/publications/download/pdfs/AR142_Shaugnessy/def
ault.asp

4. The Apollo Program Summary Report
(Document # JSC-09423)
http://history.nasa.gov/apsr/apsr.htm

5. The Atlas of Canada
http://atlas.gc.ca/site/index.html

6. An atlas of surficial salts of the Vestfold Hills, East Antarctica:
composition, distribution and origin
Gore, D.B., Nichols, G.T., Lehmann, C.E.R., Burgess, J.S., Baird, A.S. &
Creagh, D.C.
ANARE Report 143
http://www.antdiv.gov.au/science/publications/download/pdfs/AR143_Gore/default.a
sp

7. Australian solar terrestrial and space physics research
Edited by R.J. Morris and P.J. Wilkinson
ANARE Report 146
http://www.antdiv.gov.au/science/publications/download/pdfs/AR146_Morris/default
.asp

8. Development of the "Earth Simulator"
http://www.es.jamstec.go.jp/esrdc/jp/public/GSleaf72.pdf

9. Earth Simulator
http://www.es.jamstec.go.jp/esrdc/jp/public/ESP.pdf

10. Emperor Penguin (Aptenodytes forsteri) foraging ecology
Roger Kirkwood
ANARE Report 144
http://www.antdiv.gov.au/science/publications/download/pdfs/AR144_Kirkwood/defau
lt.asp

11. English-Language Arts
Content Standards for California Public Schools
HTML: http://www.cde.ca.gov/standards/reading/
PDF: http://www.cde.ca.gov/board/pdf/reading.pdf
ELD Standards (pdf) for English learners (96 pp.)
http://www.cde.ca.gov/standards/eld.pdf

12. Environmental Code of Conduct for Australian Field Activities in Antarctica
http://www.antdiv.gov.au/environment/ConductCode/default.asp

13. Far Travelers: The Exploring Machines by Oran W. Nicks
(NASA SP-480)
http://history.nasa.gov/SP-480/sp480.htm

14. First Vistors to Heard Island
by Max Downes
ANARE Research Note 104
http://www.antdiv.gov.au/science/publications/download/pdfs/ARN104_Downes/ARN104
_Downes.pdf

15. The freshwater lakes of the Larsemann Hills, East Antarctica: chemical
characteristics of the water column
by Massimo Gasparon, Ruth Lanyon, James S. Burgess, and Ingvar A. Sigurdsson
ANARE Research Notes 147
http://www.antdiv.gov.au/science/publications/download/pdfs/ARN147_Gasparon/defa
ult.asp

16. Getting Started in Oral Traditions Research
Text: Elisa Hart
Illustrations: Wally Wolfe
http://pwnhc.learnnet.nt.ca/research/otm/otrman.htm

17. Glacier Mass Balance and Regime: Data of Measurements and Analysis:
Dyurgerov, M., 2002
M. Meier and R. Armstrong (Eds.),
INSTAAR Occasional Paper No. 55, 268
http://instaar.colorado.edu/other/download/OP55_glaciers.pdf

18. Global Science in the Antarctic Context: British Antarctic Survey
strategy to 2012
http://www.antarctica.ac.uk/Publications/gsac.pdf

19. Guidelines of Lake Management
http://www.ilec.or.jp/Guideline/index.html

20. History-Social Science
Content Standards for California Public Schools
HTML: http://www.cde.ca.gov/standards/history/
PDF: http://www.cde.ca.gov/board/pdf/history.pdf

21. The lice (Insecta: Phthiraptera) from Macquarie Island
Palma, R.L. & Horning, D.S.
ANARE Research Note 105
http://www.antdiv.gov.au/science/publications/download/pdfs/ARN105_PalmaHorning/
Horning2.pdf

22. Looking South
The Australian Antarctic Program into the 21st Century
http://www.aad.gov.au/information/looksouth/

23. A New Sun: Solar Results from Skylab
(SP-402, 1979)
by John A. Eddy and edited by Rein Ise
http://history.nasa.gov/SP-402/sp402.htm

24. Outline of the Earth Simulator
http://www.es.jamstec.go.jp/esrdc/eng/public/OutlineOfGS40v3_1.pdf

25. Phytoplankton distribution and abundance off east Antarctica, as determined
by CHEMTAX analysis of HPLC pigment data (BROKE survey, January-March 1996)
Simon W. Wright and Rick L. van den Enden
ANARE Research Notes 103
http://www.antdiv.gov.au/science/publications/download/pdfs/ARN103_Wright/defaul
t.asp

26. The Power of Movement in Plants,
by Charles Darwin, contrib. by Francis Darwin
http://digital.library.upenn.edu/webbin/gutbook/lookup?num=5605

27. Proceedings of The Third International Conference on Contaminants in
Freezing Ground, April 2002,
I. Snape & R. Warren (eds). 141 pp. (4.4 mb pdf)
http://www.antdiv.gov.au/science/publications/download/pdfs/CFG0402.pdf

28. Revision of Eusirus perdentatus Chevreux, 1912 and E. propeperdentatus
Andres, 1979
(Crustacea: Amphipoda)
William B. Emison
ANARE Report 145
http://www.antdiv.gov.au/science/publications/download/pdfs/AR145_Emison/default
.asp

29. Visual and Performing Arts
Content Standards for California Public Schools
HTML: http://www.cde.ca.gov/standards/vpa/
PDF: http://www.cde.ca.gov/board/pdf/vpall.pdf
Dance PDF 39 pp. http://www.cde.ca.gov/board/pdf/dance.pdf
Music PDF 39 pp. http://www.cde.ca.gov/board/pdf/music.pdf
Theatre PDF 39 pp. http://www.cde.ca.gov/board/pdf/theatre.pdf
Visual Arts PDF 44 pp. http://www.cde.ca.gov/board/pdf/visual.pdf

30. The Voyage of Mariner 10: Mission to Venus and Mercury
(SP-424, 1978)
by James A. Dunne and Eric Burgess
http://history.nasa.gov/SP-424/sp424.htm

New Databases:

1. Endocrine Disrupting Chemicals Database
http://www.nies.go.jp/edc/edcdb/index_e.html

New Maps:

1. Arctic Environmental Atlas
http://maps.grida.no/arctic/

New Periodicals:

1. Antarctic Journal of the United States
http://www.nsf.gov/od/opp/antarct/journal/start.htm

2. Arctic Research of the United States
http://www.nsf.gov/od/opp/arctic/arctrsch/start.htm

3. AsiaFlux Newsletter